[Sca-cooks] Non-Pennsic SCA activities?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Aug 6 20:37:01 PDT 2008

Sindara mentioned:

<<< I tried my hand at
spice beads as part of my commitment to make 50 bead things for A&S50
challange. >>>

What are these? Are they herbs compressed and handled like rose beads
are made from rose petals? Or are these spice seeds which are drilled/
punched and then strung? Was this a period thing to do or is this
something modern using period spices? If you've written up
documentation for this or an article, I think it might make a good
Florilegium article.

What I do have on rose beads, in the RELIGION section:
rosaries-msg      (60K)  1/26/03    Period rosaries and their use.
Making rose
                                        beads.

<<< I also made 2 syrups using spices from my garden.  I am
now busily reading recipes trying to decide what I will do for our
upcoming Trial By Fire competition and periodically working on my
bead embroidery family portrait project for the A&S50
challange. >>>

Again, are these bead embroidery projects, either portrait or
something else, a period activity?

beads-msg         (48K)  5/ 9/04    Necklaces, beads.
beadwork-msg      (40K)  7/13/98    Beadwork on clothing. Bead types,
sources.

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------