[Sca-cooks] Fwd: lyme disease at Pennsic

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Aug 13 05:58:11 PDT 2008

Again, let me remind folks that the person who had the disease was
from the East Kingdom, where the disease is endemic
(http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/LYME/ld_Incidence.htm) and that the
incubation period, the period during which any symptoms may show, is
from 2 to 30 days. This means that the victim may have acquired it at
Pennsic, or may have acquired it before she left home, and it didn't
manifest until right after Pennsic.

While I realize that Pennsic, for most of us, is an occasion upon
which we spend a very large amount of time outside, and thus be
exposed directly to ticks and other insects, many SCAdians have pets
at home which are allowed to go outside, and the particularly tiny
little tick which carries the infection, the deer tick, is a frequent
hitchhiker when our pets return inside.

If you're worried about it, arm yourself with the facts:

http://www.medicinenet.com/lyme_disease/article.htm