[Sca-cooks] Fruit and Meat

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 14 00:39:55 PDT 2008

  Stefan wrote:
>  Dragon said:
>  > I think a large part of the problem is that people in the U.S. are
>  > acculturated to assume fruit = sweet = dessert while meat = not sweet
>  > = not dessert.

Of course this type of binary thinking may be useful in computer
programming ;-) but it doesn't take the grey areas of the real world
into account.

>  Some of this may be true. Can anyone give me a "dessert" dish that
>  *does* contain meat?
>
>  The only one I could think of is mincemeat pie, but I also believe
>  mincemeat pie doesn't actually contain any meat.

Do you mean screamingly modern American? Or are you casting a wider net?

There are several sweet dishes that include shredded chicken in both
Medieval Europe (blancmange) and the Middle East

The modern day Turks continue to make sweet dessert porridges that
include shredded chicken.

One SCA-period version is Pirinc Herise (the "c" is pronounced like
an English "j", and the second word has three syllables), "pirinc"
being Ottoman for "rice" and derived from Persian.

Pirinch herisesi - Herise of rice.
The art of preparing it is the following. Clean a fat chicken and
place it on the fire, let it boil, and lift off the foam. When the
blood comes out of the chicken, withdraw it from the fire, separate
the breast/white, press it well to make it give off any liquid, and
shred it with the fingernails to make threads. It is better to shred
it while it is still tender (hot). Pass cleanly through a strainer
the broth of the above-mentioned chicken to remove all foam. Clean
the rice, wash it, soak it in the strained chicken broth, and place
it on the cinders to keep it warm. Let it rest thus soaking until it
absorbs the broth. When it is completely soaked, cook it with fresh
milk, that it cooks as it should. Stir it with a ladle so that the
bottom doesn't burn. Adjust its salt, that it is neither too much nor
too little salted. Just before withdrawing it from the fire, add the
sugar according to taste, so that the flavor is just right. Add next
the shredded white chicken meat, mix it all together, and withdraw
from the fire. Add a little clarified sweet butter and let it rest a
little. Arrange it in dishes, sprinkle with rose water, dust with
powdered sugar, and eat.
------- Shirvani, folio 110 verso - 111 recto, 2nd half of 15th C.
(translation mine, copyright 2006)

And there's another dish, called Me'muniyye among Shirvani's recipes,
which has a descendent in modern Turkey known as "chicken breast".

The preparation of ma'muniyye.
Sugar or white honey 400 dragmes, butter of milk 150 dragmes, rice
flour washed, brayed, and passed through a sieve 350 dragmes. First
place the butter in a pot, when the butter begins to boil add the
rice flour, cook a little. Next add on top of the cooked flour, and
while the pot remains on the fire, the honey from which one has
lifted off the foam, the milk, the shredded breast of chicken, but
add a little rose water to the honey. Cook it all on a gentle fire
while stirring continually. Add as well a handful of brayed almonds.
Leave to cook until the paste becomes granular and quite thick. Draw
it from the fire. Take quantities equal to an egg, place them in
molds in the form of a bowl, push well with a spoon so that the
pieces wed the form, and next arrange them in a frying pan. Place it
on the embers with a little oil and cause the pieces to fry, turning
them until they are golden on all sides. Arrange them next on a
plate, pour under and over them powdered sugar in quantity, brayed
almonds, and rose water with musk. It is also possible to consume
them without frying them.
------- Shirvani, folio 121 recto - verso, 2nd half of 15th C.
(translation mine, copyright 2006)

I'm not really a porridge kind of guy, but i really want to make
those Ma'muniyya. (yes, the spelling is inconsistent... it's shown up
all three ways in several books)

Of course, an Ottoman feast had savory dishes punctuated by sweet
dishes throughout the meal. A particular sweet was the penultimate
dish, followed by cooked sheep's heads and trotters, and sausage-like
items, which formed the grand finale...

As for modern sweets, the bacon-dark-chocolate bar i mentioned a
while back, well, a number of chocolatiers are making variations on
that theme...
And there are all those recipes i posted a week or two ago featuring
*BACON* (drool, drool)
- Bacon Apple Caramels
- Bacon-Gingerbread to make a house
- Sweet Bacon Shortbread