[Sca-cooks] "Child Safing"

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Aug 15 15:14:59 PDT 2008

Adamantius commented:
<<< On a marginally related note, I remember always being mystified
by the
claims that such-and-such-a-child or woman in some historical setting
died after "falling into the fire". But add things like corsets on the
victims and thermal updrafts in a large fireplace, not to mention
smoke and carbon monoxide, and it starts to seem like a more viable
concept.>>>

In the book I posted yesterday about medieval children, it gives
examples of such accidents from the coroners reports. Also children
turning over the kettle of boiling water/food on themselves.

I believe there are examples of the child leashes/harnesses and the
stroller/chair in medieval drawings and these in part may have been
child safing devices.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas