[Sca-cooks] Child safing

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Aug 16 15:28:05 PDT 2008

Fortunately, a lot of the damage can be minimized by modern first aid
and other techniques. For example, "Dropping and rolling' is a great
way to put out the fire- the faster the fire is put out, the less
damage the victim suffers. It may seem obvious, but ofthen the first
instinct of someone on fire is to run away- thus fanning the flames
with the wind of their passage, and increasing the damage.

The second bit is basic first aid- cooling the burn with cold, or at
least cool, water. We all know how, when we're cooking a roast, we
take the roast out of the oven or the fire, to "rest" and to finish
cooking- the internal temperature of the roast will continue to
increase.

The human body when burned, is no different. If you cool the burn
immediately, you again reduce the damage. Just use some sense- if
someone is badly burned, don't hit them with a hose on a strong spray,
or you may take the flesh away with the force of the water. Instead,
trickle the water on the burn. You can still get an incredible amount
of cooling to the area.

The third step, of course, is to prevent infection. This is done by
covering any severe burn with a clean, if not sterile, cloth, and
following the Drs recommendations for a course of antibiotics.

My personal favorite salve for a burn is Silvadene, which,
unfortunately, is prescription only. Since, being a blacksmith, I get
burned pretty frequently, I keep it on hand, for those burns which go
beyond "Ouch, dammit". It's not, however, suggested for anyone with a
sulfa drug allergy, since it's a sulfa drug.

Do NOT, however, NOT, NOT, NOT, apply butter or any fat based home
remedy to a burn, or in fact anything without knowing _EXACTLY_ what
you're doing. It just means something that the Dr will have to remove,
in addition to any flesh he may have to remove.