[Sca-cooks] Child safing

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 16 15:06:10 PDT 2008

On Aug 16, 2008, at 5:00 PM, Kathleen Madsen wrote:

> It's not all that historic.
> My Great-grandmother died when her hair caught fire on the cook  
> stove.  It wasn't the fire, smoke, or carbon monoxide that caused  
> her demise - it was the extent of the burns.
> Eibhlin

I'm sure. My references to smoke and carbon monoxide were a case of  
grasping at possible explanations for people falling down when they  
happened to be standing in front of the fireplace. While I'm sure  
people burn themselves and even catch fire over their stoves today,  
sometimes even burning the house down, but I don't think we see quite  
as many coroner's reports stating that the cause of death was "falling  
into the fire" as we used to in the 18th and 19th centuries, and  


"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls,  
when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's  
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter

More information about the Sca-cooks mailing list