[Sca-cooks] kitchen tips

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Wed Aug 20 14:33:43 PDT 2008

Stanza693 at wmconnect.com wrote:

>How does one prepare rice in an oven?   This sounds like a good tip for a
>novice like me that *may* want to be a head cook *someday*.

Basically, put rice in an oven-proof vessel.  Add twice as much boiling
water or other liquid (by volume), plus anything else you want (butter,
seasonings, etc).  Cover the container tightly with foil, and put a
180C/350F oven.  A smallish quantity of white rice will take under
25min.  1kg takes 30-35min. Check for doneness by making sure that all
(or very nearly all) the water has been absorbed.  Let stand a few
minutes before serving.

A deep half-size hotel pan is perfect for 1kg.  I do not recommend
cooking more than 2kg of rice in a single pan because (another tip!)
excessively heavy or overfilled pans lead to burns.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?