[Sca-cooks] kitchen tips

Amy Cooper amy.s.cooper at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 08:49:55 PDT 2008

> <snip>i was once told my crew had to pay site fee! </snip>

Interesting - around here (Barony of Roaring Wastes and Shire of Starleaf
Gate, Midrealm), it is very common that event staff also pay site fee. I'm
planning on it for Clancy Day next year. I think partially it's because some
of our events, you really do need every single body there in order to break
even or make a small profit. I know for the Canton of Brackendelve, it was
definitely a sense of "We're all needed to make this event work, so we're
all paying site fee". And with some events, most of the staff have the
opportunity at "some point" during the day to take a break and enjoy the
event like any other attendee. Of course, if someone is having financial
difficulties, and is willing to work, something can be worked out to reduce
or eliminate their site fee. I personally can't think of an event where I've
worked and not paid site fee (of course, I can't remember what I ate for
lunch last week, either)

When the Shire of Starleaf Gate switched to this model a couple of years
ago, there was quite an uproar, mostly because the event steward who made
the change communicated it in the most tactless way possible. Until then, it
hadn't really occurred to me that there would be events where the staff
*didn't* pay site fee at all...

Ilsebet