[Sca-cooks] lamb at feast (was: fish at feast)

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 27 12:54:36 PDT 2008

Lamb in the local supermarkets are not cheap here. However, that's
not where i buy mine.

I go to a hallal market. I don't get fancy cuts, they just cut off a
long muscle, then cut it in chunks or grind it, depending on what i
ask for. That's how meat is dealt with in much of the world.

Last time i was there it was $1.99 US/lb, although the price may have
gone up on the past 1/2 year.

It's 3 or 4 times more in the supermarket.

So if you don't need fancy chops or a fancy rack of lamb, i recommend
checking out a hallal market. Obviously this might not work for folks
in more isolated areas, but in cities, there are bound to be hallal
markets, it just may take a little research to find them.

For reference, I'm in the San Francisco Bay area, Northern
California. Also, i'm pretty sure the lamb is fairly local - raised
within a few hours from here.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita