[Sca-cooks] [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Nutmeg in stale ale]]]

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sat Aug 2 08:23:15 PDT 2008

More questions!  -'Lainie

-------- Original Message --------

Which raises the further question: is the moist ale which the Host and
Pardoner seem to want or expect on the pilgrimage a cheaper or inferior
brew likely to be more readily available or perhaps easier on the palate
and stomach in the quantities ale drinkers seem to prefer?

Is there evidence that anyone in the Middle Ages expected the nutmeg to
have hallucinogenic properties?  There is at least one Google site that
suggests that if you can bear to eat enough of it you may start to see
little pink men from Mars, or  the like.  I don't advise the testing
thereof -- a poor druggie self-centered enough to describe his
experiment on the internet found it tasted so horrible that he was
obliged to mask it with so many other substances that it's hard to know
what caused his mild disorientation during his excruciatingly boring day
diarized in detail while his mother had left him alone.

Brian

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore