[Sca-cooks] kitchen tips

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Aug 20 11:37:20 PDT 2008

One more, basic planning:

  1. If you are going to use electric appliances (roasters, griddles,
fryers, mixers, or [god forbid] a microwave), check which outlets go to
which breakers ahead of time. Don't trust what the site says, don't trust
what the owner says -- test it yourself. A small portable fan is great for
this. It's a big help if you can lay out where to plug things in ahead of
time.

(I confess, one feast where the breaker kept blowing on the roaster, and
the oven/stovetop was full, we finished the hoochee in the microwave -- not
something I'd recommend as a general practice, but it got the job done on
time without really affecting the taste)

  2. In your walkthrough, test the ovens. Turn each one on and see how (and
if) it heats. If it has a pilot, make sure you know how to light the pilot
and turn on the oven. If there is more than one oven, turn them both on
together (I've been amazed with the contortions you have to go through to
get some site ovens to work properly -- better to know ahead than to end up
experimenting the day of)

3. Measure the insides of the ovens and count the oven racks. Don't rely on
your or the sites baking sheets fitting into the oven.

4. Parchment paper is your friend. Parchment paper is your cleanup crew's
friend. As is PAM.

5. Costco sells those little rubber kitchen mats at reasonable prices. They
can be the difference between walking and limping at the end of the day.

toodles, margaret