[Sca-cooks] Emergency food (was: kitchen tips)

Sharron Albert morgana at gci.net
Fri Aug 22 21:15:37 PDT 2008

>  > I wonder if other adults carry their own "emergency food" in case they feel
>  > the need to "order in a pizza"?

Most of us bring our own 'snack' foods, even to local events. Usually
it's put out during the day (we don't traditionally serve lunches and
events tend to start around 10 or 11 am), and shared with everyone. I
make sure it's food I will eat if I end up taking it home. It ensures
I have food I can/want to eat, and it supplements our many newcomers
who don't know to do this or bring a potluck contribution (our normal
tradition for dinner). I would never have pizza delivered (bring cold
pieces for snacks, maybe).

But we especially bring food to coronets, because we never know what,
if anything, will be available. Some coronets do no food; others do
Saturday lunch (a dayboard) and feast, and Sunday brunch (mostly
leftovers). Those with allergies, etc., either really need to know
the cooks, or make sure they have their own, as some of the cooks
don't give full information, even when asked (I know, that's rude,
but unfortunately true). I'd go offsite before I'd order pizza at
coronets.

Locally, we know most people's allergies and cater to them some of
the time with potluck contributions, and let them know individually
(as well as having a list of ingredients if needed) whether something
is safe or not for them.

Oops, I slopped over into allergies, didn't I?

Yers,

Morgana yr Oerfa
--
Wit is educated insolence. -Aristotle, philosopher (384-322 BCE)