[Sca-cooks] seating charts for feassts

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Aug 22 23:53:02 PDT 2008

Euriol mentioned:
<<< There was one feast I did end up walking out on... and it had
nothing to do
with the cook. When I arrived at the event there was no seating chart
available to secure a seat for me, my lord and my two sons. At no time
during the event did I ever hear that one was made available (i.e. no
annoucement). An annoucement was made for people to take their seats and
the food was starting to go out... I had no seats. There was no two
seats
available together. (It was at this time that I discovered a seating
chart
and come out sometime during the event). I wasn't about to disrupt
everything as food was already being served just so I could get
seated with
my children. My children were quite hungry... so we all left and had
dinner
at a restaurant. Part of the irony of that day was my eldest son
helped to
cook in the kitchen.>>>

How common is it to have seating charts for feast? How are the charts
handled?

Recently at our big, inside winter feast, Candlemas, we have been
doing seating charts.  These are usually available as soon as the
hall is opened and it is first-come, first-served, and while you can
sign up for more people than yourself, you have to have the names of
each of your eating companions. For our other events, done outside,
it is more hit and miss and often people are encouraged to bring
their own tables as there are only a dozen or two picnic type tables
available at the site.

In the past, before we went to a seating chart arrangement, people
would stake out an area sometime during the day. Or if the hall was
to be re-arranged for the feast, there would be a sudden time when
the tables had gotten set up that would turn into a cattle car
stampede to the tables. In either case, the best seats went to those
in organized households which would have a few people who could go
grab multiple tables. Often the households didn't end up using all of
the spots. Such exclusiveness and us/them thinking is one of the
reasons I'm not generally fond of households in the SCA. For a single
couple, especially if both were off working during the rush for
tables, say in the kitchen or doing other needed chores at the event,
they would often find themselves off in a back corner, even if they
could get two seats together.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas