[Sca-cooks] Why *X* and not *Y*?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 1 08:02:28 PDT 2008

On Aug 1, 2008, at 10:40 AM, Audrey Bergeron-Morin wrote:

>> The whole thing was a big success, and I think part of the reason
>> why  was that everybody was able to order a meal in absolute
>> confidence  that they could base their decisions entirely on what
>> they wanted, and  on no other considerations.
>
> Well, yes. I think you've hit on something very important. I
> wouldn't walk into a dodgy restaurant in a weird part of any town
> and order something just because it's on the menu and I don't know
> what it is. I have to have some confidence in the provider of said
> food, either because it's a friend, or because it's a reputable
> restaurant, or because there are thousands of people pushing and
> shoving to get to the counter ;-)

Yes, well, many people are like that, but not everyone is. A lot of
great places, within my experience, were originally chosen because we
(or they) just happened to be in the right place at the right time, or
we were tired and didn't want to walk any further, and there it was,
or they had an amusingly misspelled sign in the window which made us
come over to get a closer look...

I guess if you dine out with a fair frequency, and the options are
varied, one might take more of a chance with someplace unfamiliar,
especially since sometimes places come highly recommended and still
stink. ;-)

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter