[Sca-cooks] Why *X* and not *Y*?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 2 12:25:25 PDT 2008

On Aug 2, 2008, at 2:31 PM, S CLEMENGER wrote:

> Yummm!
> I've never had a Burmese curry...just Japanese, and East Indian, and
> Thai.
> What makes it specifically Burmese?
> --M, definitely working up a curry jones.....

Well, this isn't something I can claim to know much about, but it
seems, as some other Southeast Asian cuisines do, to have aspects of
both Chinese and Indian cookery represented. Many curries seem to
begin with a similar (but not necessarily identical) blend of crushed/
pureed onion, garlic and ginger, cooked down to a sort of sludge, and
finally to a lightly caramelized curry paste, in oil, to which spices
are added. As I say, they seem to be a little less numerous than you
might fin in Indian curries, where you might find all those
ingredients plus, say, cloves, caradamom, chiles, cinnamon, turmeric,
cumin, pepper, and whatever else, a Burmese curry may have two or
three of those, maybe one, maybe five, maybe none of them. The usual
suspects seem to be turmeric and chile.

As with Thai cookery, you've got curries made with coconut milk, some
with tomatoes (including a hair-raising vindaloo), some with chick
peas. And as with some Indonesian curries, there seems to be a good
amount of oil floating on top of the curry after the rest of the
liquid has cooked almost dry; this is not ewww fat, but an integral
part of the dish, both for flavor and, possibly, to exclude air and
"pot" or preserve the dish for a short period.

An observation of mine which may not bear much water in fact or in a
larger sample size, but vegetable dishes tend to be cooked less than
with some more-or-less corresponding Indian dishes, meat dishes,
sometimes more, as if concentrating the flavor is the goal.

This is the stuff you're _supposed_ to be eating with all that
allegedly bland white rice ;-)

Adamantius