[Sca-cooks] weird question - honey fast???

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Aug 10 21:58:17 PDT 2008

Johnnae did some research and posted here:

<<<  BEES, WAX, AND HONEY.

BEE-CULTURE IN RUSSIA.

The rearing of bees is extensively carried on in the several parts
of European Russia, particularly in the central and southern
governments,
as well as in the Polish and in the trans-Caucasian provinces.
This insect acclimatises up to a very high latitude, even in Siberia.
It was long thought that the climate of the latter country
was utterly unsuitable for the rearing of bees ; but experiments made
at the commencement of the present century in the governments of
Tomsk, Omsk, and Jenisseisk have proved the contrary. It has
greatly suffered, however, in some provinces, from the destruction of
the forests; for the bee prefers well wooded districts, where it is
protected from the wind. >>>

Wow. Thank you for posting this. I will be saving this for the fasts-
msg, bees-msg and Russia-msg files in the Florilegium. I also think
this may also fit in with the questions on bees and honey in Iceland
during the 9th and 10th centuries.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas