[Sca-cooks] OOP More schools ban Peanut Butter

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Mon Aug 11 20:12:54 PDT 2008

Wow, this is weird- I had no idea people were so emotionally attatched to
peanut butter. Our oldest has a moderate peanut allergy, and her school was
generally very cooperative about making sure she didn't eat anything with
peanut butter and that her teacher had the training to administer the
Epi-Pen, and all the kids in _her class_ got handouts to take home about
peanut allergies. I think she had to sit at a separate table in the
cafeteria, which made me sad but there you are.
The hostility really surprises me, though-perhaps all those people should
sit in the emergency room for seven hours overnight with a four year old
child having a reaction from a piece of unlabled candy. And her six month
old baby sister had to come with us too. It may have taken so long because
we were at the bottom of the triage list as the Epi-Pen was already
administered, they wouldn't tell us. BTW, for anyone who doesn't know, the
needle on the Epi-Pen is as big as a piece of spaghetti, nearly.
But why would people be so hostile to a not terribly unreasonable public
health issue? Are they that selfish and unsympathetic? This is an honest
question, I just don't get it. It's not about bad life choices that children
have made or about bad parenting, it's just something that happens, and last
I heard they had no idea why peanut allergies have skyrocketed. We are lucky
that our girl's allergy is only moderate, there are much more severe ones
out there. Eating a peanut butter sandwich and breathing on someone can
trigger it.
Seeking Enlightenment,
Isabella

Frank Zappa

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead.
Thomas Paine