[Sca-cooks] OOP More schools ban Peanut Butter

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 11 20:56:13 PDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
But why would people be so hostile to a not terribly unreasonable public
health issue? Are they that selfish and unsympathetic? This is an honest
question, I just don't get it. It's not about bad life choices that children
have made or about bad parenting, it's just something that happens, and last
I heard they had no idea why peanut allergies have skyrocketed. We are lucky
that our girl's allergy is only moderate, there are much more severe ones
out there. Eating a peanut butter sandwich and breathing on someone can
trigger it.    Seeking Enlightenment,   Isabella   > > > > > > >

I suspect that it is the global resolution of a relatively localized
problem.  Simple avoidance is not a solution so much as an avoidance of
liability.  It lacks creativity and lacks integrity.  Everyone is denied
because of the needs of the few . . . it is seldom a successful policy
except as a short term attempt to modify behaviors (like in basic training
situation in military).  As one of the parents of an allergic child stated:

Banning peanuts, she said, "is not teaching children how to grow up in the
real world."

I see both sides, and tend toward finding a real world solution for everyone
to be able to get their needs and wants met safely.  Find a solution with
both the majority the minority interests being protected.

niccolo difrancesco