[Sca-cooks] Fruit and Meat

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Aug 13 17:49:21 PDT 2008

The traditional  recipe in my family contains real meat in the
mincemeat. One puts up the mincemeat, lets it age and then
one makes the traditional dark fruitcakes in part with the homemade
mincemeat.
One then lets the cakes age for a suitable period of time, while soaking
them
every once in awhile in brandy or whisky.

So that answers the question about there being a dessert dish that
contains meat!

As for Mince meat recipes and mentions- part of the problem lies on the
spelling of the
terms. Mince or minst or minse, etc.

After some searching here are some mentions in chronological order from OED

*1573* C. HOLLYBAND /French Schoole-maister/ 94 O Lorde, he hath supped
up all the brothe of this mince pie.
*1578* Lyte /Dodoens/ i. ciii. 146 Chopte or minsed meate.
*1585* T. Washington tr. /Nicholay's Voy/ iii. xi. 90 b, Pies of minced
meate, and rice.
*1604* T. DEKKER /News from Graves-end/ Ep. Ded. sig B3, Ten thousand in
London swore to feast their neighbors with nothing but plum-porredge,
and mince-pyes all
Christmas.
*1626* Bacon /Sylva/ /enticons/sect.gif46 With a good strong
Chopping-knife, mince the two Capons..as small as ordinary Minced Meat.
*1630* /Tincker of Turvey/ 23 If his wife puts but two fingers daintily
into a dish of mince-meat, he sweares she makes hornes at him.
*1662* S. PEPYS  /Diary/ 6 Jan. (1970) III. 4 We have, besides a good
chine of beef and other good cheer, eighteen mince-pies in a dish, the
number of the years that he hath been married.
*1673* T. SHADWELL  /Epsom-Wells/ IV, in /Wks./ (1720) II. 247 For
currants to make mince-pyes with.

[OED doesn't list it but there's also this mention too.

Frilingotti,a kinde of daintie chewet or mincedpie.

John Florio A vvorlde of wordes, 1598]

Recipe wise

To bake a Connie, Veale, or Mutton.
TAke a Conny and perboile it almoste enough, then mince the flesh of it
verie fine, and take with it three yolkes of hard egges, and mince with
it, then lay another Conny in your Pie being perboiled, and your minced
meat with it, being seasoned with Cloues, Mace, Ginger, Saffron Pepper &
Salt, with two dishes of swéete butter mixed with it, lay vpon your
Con|nie Barberies Gooseberies, or grapes, or the smal raisons, and so
bake it.

Thomas Dawson The second part of the good hus-wiues iewell. 1597

-------

A minc't pie.
Take a Legge of Mutton, and cut the best of the flesh from the bone, and
parboyle it well: then put to it three pound of the best Mutton suet,
and shred it very small: then spread it abroad, and season it with
Pepper and Salt, Cloues and Mace: then put in good store of Currants,
great Raisins and Prunes cleane washt and pickt, a few Dates slic't, and
some Orenge pills slic't: then being all well mixt together, put it into
a coffin, or into diuers coffins, and so bake them: and when they are
serued vp open the liddes, and strow store of Sugar on the top of the
meate, and vpon the lid. And in this sort you may also bake Beefe or
Veale; onely the Beefe would not bee parboyld, and the Veale will aske a
double quantity of Suet.

Markham, Gervase. The English house-vvife. 1631
----------

There's a long association of the pies with Christmas. In his
“Ceremonies for Christmasse” the poet Robert Herrick wrote:

Drink now the strong Beere,
Cut the white loafe here,
The while the meat is a shredding;
For the rare Mince-Pie
And the Plums stand by
To fill the Paste that's a kneading.

This was published in 1648 in his collection titled Hesperides.

Last but not least Ivan Day has a selection of recipes for mince pies on
website under the heading Bake Metes and Mince Pies.
See http://www.historicfood.com/Pie%20recipe2.htm

hope this helps

Johnnae