[Sca-cooks] Roux

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Aug 14 19:14:58 PDT 2008

Euriol asked:
<<< So... my quest is to find out if this recipe does indeed exist.
Has anyone
come across such a recipe in any of the pre 17th century recipe
collections? >>>

Although we seem to be pushing the earliest recipes for a roux
further and further back, I think the problem with this statement is
the "pre 17th century" portion. I don't believe we have evidence for
a medieval roux, while as others have mentioned we do have a number
of 16th century roux and roux-like recipes.

More can be found in this file in the FOOD-CONDIMENTS section of the
Florilegium.

gravy-msg         (14K)  2/14/08    Period gravy. Renaissance, not
medieval.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas