[Sca-cooks] Cafe Glace: Food at the OLYMPICS

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Aug 14 19:26:39 PDT 2008

On Aug 14, 2008, at 9:50 PM, Heleen Greenwald wrote:

> If the Chinese sell dog meat (poor Benji!) as a normal thing, why
> ban it during the Olympics? If it's cultural....it's cultural.
> Phillipa

Apparently the Chinese government is anxious to portray as Western-
friendly an attitude as possible, under the circumstances. Essentially
merchants were told not to advertise or serve dog, and if the western
tourists asked for it or about it, to say that eating dogs is a very
old custom that the country no longer observes.

Yeah, it's a lie, but this is an institution that also says the
Cultural Revolution was a universally good thing, so hey, they are
what they are, and that's how it is. <shrug>

Adamantius (who only knows ardently anti-Communist Chinese people)

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter