[Sca-cooks] Cafe Glace: Food at the OLYMPICS

Heleen Greenwald heleen at ptd.net
Thu Aug 14 19:38:20 PDT 2008

Oddly, that makes sense to me. Best foot forward and all that. But I
have a deep seated distrust of politics and the political mind set.....
Phillipa
On Aug 14, 2008, at 10:26 PM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:

On Aug 14, 2008, at 9:50 PM, Heleen Greenwald wrote:

> If the Chinese sell dog meat (poor Benji!) as a normal thing, why
> ban it during the Olympics? If it's cultural....it's cultural.
> Phillipa

Apparently the Chinese government is anxious to portray as Western-
friendly an attitude as possible, under the circumstances.
Essentially merchants were told not to advertise or serve dog, and if
the western tourists asked for it or about it, to say that eating
dogs is a very old custom that the country no longer observes.