[Sca-cooks] "Spontaneous" fermentation

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Wed Aug 27 09:43:51 PDT 2008

Terry Decker did speak thusly:
>If you bake a lot, the yeast levels in the kitchen tend to be higher
>than usual.  If this is the case, opening the jar might cause a
>problem.  In a related note, you might also check the sodium content
>of the salsa.  Higher salinity usually means less chance of fermentation.

Due to dietary issues I have been neither baking nor brewing for some
time now. I miss having fresh baked bread and homemade beer and mead,
but I have to avoid them in any large quantity so it just is not
something I can realistically do any longer. So I doubt this is the
issue as it has literally been years since I have had any live yeast
deliberately hanging about my kitchen.

>There is also the possibility that the manufacturer is not
>thoroughly pasteurizing during canning.  Yeast would likely go
>dormant after using up any air in the jar and start reviving after
>the jar has been opened and the contents stirred.  If this is the
>case, then I would change salsa to avoid the possibility of botulism.

I think this is far more likely the cause. I have contacted the
manufacturer and made them aware of the recurring problem. Whether
they do anything or not is anyone's guess.

So next time I go to the grocer, I will be buying a different brand.

Dragon