[Sca-cooks] "Spontaneous" fermentation

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Tue Aug 26 21:00:20 PDT 2008

I've been having a run of weirdness in my refrigerator of late.

I generally buy a big jug of salsa and it lasts me a couple months in
the refrigerator as I consume it on lots of different things. But the
last three bottles I have bought I have been unable to finish. Not
because I can't eat it, but because it starts fermenting within a
couple of weeks of my opening a new one.

It bubbles quite vigorously and smells yeasty and alcoholic, so it
has definitely been contaminated with yeast. Now what baffles me
about all of this is how it is getting contaminated with yeast. I am
careful to keep the neck of the bottle clean and I never put anything
but a clean spoon in it to remove any from the jar. My refrigerator
temperature is fine, I have a thermometer in there and check it
regularly to be sure. Though to be honest, even the recommended
refrigerator temperatures are not an impediment to yeast doing their
thing slowly.

Since it has happened with the same brand three times, I am beginning
to suspect that it isn't something I am doing. I am going to contact
the manufacturer about this issue and will be buying a different
brand next time I go to buy some.

I'm not going to mention what the brand is just yet, not until I talk
to them about it. But I will say it is a nationally distributed one.
But if anyone has seen the same thing recently, I would be interested
in hearing about it.

Dragon