[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Credit Card Problems?

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 28 13:47:18 PDT 2008

Bear suggested:
>The scenario Alys describes makes me suspect that hers was among the 40
>million card numbers that were lifted about six weeks ago from, IIRC,
>Marshall Fields computers. As I recall, purchases at T.J. Maxx, Marshall
>fields and Barnes and Noble may be part of the compromised data.

Well, unless the data had been collected years ago, I don’t frequent these
stores.  Last purchase in T.J. Maxx might have been 8 years ago - and I
usually use cash.  Ditto for Barnes and Noble.  They aren’t nearby so I use
Borders/Waldenbooks.

Niccolo suggested:
>Even perhaps a local store or marketplace where several people frequented
>before, during or after the war.

I never leave site; I don’t use a credit card for gas or groceries.  That’s
why this has been so puzzling.  I’d heard rumors of somewhat-organized
thieves attending Pennsic and then stealing from tents, which can’t be
locked.  I wondered if it were possible to snag all those lovely credit
card purchase numbers from our event.  I certainly trust the folk at
Devra’s.  I had purchases for much smaller amounts at two other merchants
around the time I bought books from Devra - and one late in the War.  There
are no fraudulent charges prior to my purchases from Poison Pen, so all the
fraudulent charges took place after I was at War.

Alys, with a new credit card number

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/