[Sca-cooks] How to cite SCA cooks messages

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 14:09:30 PST 2008

"Gaylin Walli" or is it Iasmin?, I am still confused, answered my query:

> When citing a SCA posting do I use his real name or his SCA name of
> > the author, for example Troy, Phil or Adamantius or Decker, Terry or
> > Bear etc?
> > Suey

> It will depend largely on the style guide you're using. The Chicago Manualof Style suggests as follows:
>
> Q. Hello. How do you document pseudonyms which appear in online discussion
> groups? In these situations, you only have the nickname or pseudonym as a
> reference (e.g., "Shelly," "Peaches"), and no proper name to link it to. Is
> it sufficient to put the nickname or pseudonym in inverted commas in the
> body of the work, and in the endnote too?
>
> A. Yes, that's a good way to do it. After using quotation marks at the first
> mention of a nickname in the text, you can drop the quotation marks for
> subsequent mentions. In the notes, however, use the quotation marks for
> every citation.
>
> (Source:
> http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/CMS_FAQ/Documentation/Documentation49.html
> )

Henceforth Terry Decker and Kingstaste prefer their names while Antonia
Calvo wants to be asked.  Now if a message is 10 years old, the sender
has changed his email address and is no longer an SCA member then what?
Total I submitted this question to simplify my life not to complicate
it. When I cite a book I do not have to write to the author to ask him
what name to be used. If I have to contact every electronic source I may
publish in the year 3,000 or not at all. Nay. There should be a rule in
thumb such as if signed "Bear" then the text should be cited as from
"Bear" . . . or if from Terry Decker then cited as Decker, Terry - one
way or the other - . . . but I think it impossible to satisfy every whim.
Suey