[Sca-cooks] Cranberry substitute

Carol Smith eskesmith at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 8 17:33:04 PST 2008

You're after the astringent note of cranberries; look for something with tannins in it.  Most berries won't qualify.  Grapes have it but are much too sweet for this purpose.  Perhaps a homemade red wine jelly, though, might work, especially if you can do it with very little sugar.  I've never tried, so I don't know if it's possible.  Gunther, any opinions?

Regards,
Brekke> Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 13:43:37 -0800> From: selene at earthlink.net> To: sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Cranberry substitute> > The problem is, the usual substitute is Swedish style Lingonberries but > I don't suppose you have those there either. Failing that, any red > berry jam would probably fill in adequately. Chunky apple sauce would > be nice with roast turkey as well.> > Bon appetit,> Selene> > > > Suey wrote:> > Husband Peter decided to promote a relative and organized a dinner > > party having her prepare the food.> > She fell threw so now I am the cook of a Thanksgiving turkey cause I > > know how to do it but the hitch is cranberry sauce or jelly/jam. It > > seems like Chile is a leading producer but no on sale here. The > > nearest is blueberry jam. Peter says I should puree apples.> > What do you think?> > Suey> > _______________________________________________> Sca-cooks mailing list> Sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org> http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/sca-cooks-ansteorra.org