[Sca-cooks] Bakewise was testing...

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Dec 17 07:39:15 PST 2008

I finally had the opportunity to be in town and find a copy
of Shirley Corriher's Bakewise on the shelf to buy.
No one has mentioned it but I thought I would give it a plug
in case someone needs a Christmas gift book for a baker.

It's subtitled: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking with Over
250 Magnificent Recipes. 532 pages. List price is $40
but there are lots of specials and coupons out there.

I think it would be an excellent book for devoted bakers
because it answers some of those nagging questions as to why
certain baking recipes and techniques work and others don't work.
I like it very much because it's that literate combination of technical
information
and a selection of chosen recipes. (More fun than a number of those
scientist in the kitchen books) Very few color photos, so if you are a cook
that needs photos, this may not appeal to you.

But if you loved Cookwise, you'll probably love this volume as well.
It won't replace Harold McGee but both Corriher volumes are worth having.

Johnnae