[Sca-cooks] Testing ...

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 17 09:05:59 PST 2008

Many thanks to those who gave me the recipe for honeyed dates and the reference to the marzipan-stuffed apricots.  Our barony had a bake sale last weekend to raise funds to replace kitchen and serving gear lost in a storm last spring, and I made a batch of each of those, as well as quince paste, payn ragon, almond macaroons, and the divinity-like candy from Nostradamus.

I had to make a dash to the store for rosewater and saffron, and my Middle Eastern grocer gave me a look, since I usually buy only yogurt, olive oil and nuts from him.  I explained what I needed the rosewater and saffron for and gave him the recipe.  He got the same look on his face that Anton Ego did when he took the first bite of ratatouille.  “Those people knew how to eat,” he said.

We had a groaning board of baked goodies and candies, and a wildly successful fundraiser.  I’ve cleared the decks, and now am about to start making candy for my co-workers.

Oh, and marzpian stuffed prunes are great, too!

Talana