[Sca-cooks] And in the "Be Careful What You Wish For" department...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 19 20:11:49 PST 2008

On Dec 19, 2008, at 8:31 PM, Kingstaste wrote:

> I have watched a couple of videos on the eating of said fish
> product, and
> both times they carved it off of the chunks hanging in the curing
> house and
> ate it right there.  The townsfolk ate it in the tavern on slices of
> brown
> bread and the tasty beverage of their choice.  I don't know of a
> recipe for
> cooking it, none of the shows on Iceland that I've seen mention that.

That was my impression, as well. The person who brought it from
Iceland is apparently not a seafood fan and has probably never
actually dealt with haakarl directly, but told my friend she'd tell
him how to prepare it, but then with one thing and another, left
without doing so. There may have been some miscommunication, either in
Iceland or at this end.

> You should try some, and tell us all about it in detail, so we can
> live
> vicariously through you!

Woid on th' street is dat it tastes like a strongish, soft cheese,
like old Brie or Camembert. If I do get to taste it, I'll let people
know. Assuming, of course, I survive ;-)

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter