[Sca-cooks] Selene's spice cakes/breads

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 19 22:33:32 PST 2008

Selene commented:
<<< My big baking push is this weekend for the Christmas Day for Jews,
Orphans and Heathens.  Fruited spicebreads [spiked and unspiked], cutout
cookies. >>>

What are your fruited spicebreads like? I assume these aren't the
standard fruit cakes.  Recipe?

<<< I think I need an extra hand or three, any locals with a
hankering for
baking, come on down, take home goodies too.  It's as easy to make four
cakes as it is to make two. >>>

Yes, but doing that first cake is the problem, especially when there
are only two in the household. But it does sound like your spice
cakes might keep well, especially if well pickled(?). Can these cakes
be done with a hand mixer or no mixer?  Thank you again to those on
this list who recommended I get a hand mixer. I really wouldn't have
gotten that much use out of a large counter mixer.

If I had made our baronial Yule Revel I had been thinking of making
wafers and "snow" again. Hmm. Maybe "snow" would be good on top of
one of Selene's spice breads/cakes? (This time I'll have to do better
about keeping *all* of the yolks out of the whites).

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com