[Sca-cooks] Divinity-like candy from Nostradamus

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 22 09:18:19 PST 2008

Adding the eggs whites to the syrup, rather than pouring the syrup into the egg whites, tweaked a memory. It's actually the traditional Italian way of making torrone. You're supposed to add the egg whites to the caramelized honey (or sugar syrup, or mixture of both). As far as why that is, I don't know. But I went looking up recipes from Italy and that struck me, how most of them called for the egg whites to be introduced to the syrup, not the other way around.

I think Nostradamus's candy should be called "torrone" rather than divinity ...

And BTW, I found this interesting thing about chocolate in Turin, but I don't know how true it actually is about Nostradamus. It's probably not true at all, as I did find out that the first chocolate-drinking sale license in Turin was 1678, not 1600, as this site claims:

http://www.ilpaesedeigolosi.it/ing/dettaglio.asp?ID=85

Gianotta