[Sca-cooks] OOP ethnic silly question...and holiday greetings!

Kihe Blackeagle kihebard at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 22 08:56:12 PST 2008

Temperatures . . .

Amra, the born-and-bred-in-Ansteorran, is currently on contract in central Wisconsin.

Two partial winters in western Pennsylvania, and February in western Chicago suburbs two years ago, may not have fully prepared me for this.  Got the parka, got the insulated boots, got the emergency kit in the vehicle:  Check.  Got the ideas of layers and unfriendly wind chill growing up in northern and northwestern Oklahoma, with mundane family in farm/ranch and oilfield:  Right.  Even know what it is to have snow up to the eaves of the house (NW Oklahoma - drifts up to there, middle of the winter wheat field scrubbed bare, etc.)

It was -10F here when I got up this morning, -11F when I left the apartment, and my after-market block heater apparently either quit or did not have power last night.  Vehicle started, just barely.

Don't know the official figures, but my observations are that there has probably been a total of 12 to 15 inches of snow so far this season in Marshfield.  With one substantial melt the weekend of the 13th-14th, that still leaves drifts as much as 3 or 4 feet plus whatever the plows have shoved off the roads.  The snowpile in front of my parking spot, where the front end loader stacked scrapings from the lot three snows back, was about five feet tall this morning.

And I hadn't mentioned yet the little jaunt to Nordskogen (Minneapolis, MN) for the heraldic commentary session on Saturday yet:  we made it there and back, with Reinholdt von Trollenhagen, Compass Herald, driving -- but given what I know now I think we probably should have stayed in out respective homes. . .
"Pray for me"? -- the plan is to fly out of Central Wisconsin (Mosinee) Wednesday morning, switch at O Hare, and into DFW about 3pm that afternoon -- and reverse directions next Sunday.

<BRRRRRR / Shiver>, Amra
ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe / Adieu, Amra Mike C. Baker / Kihe Blackeagle Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em SCA: al-Sayyid Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra, F.O.B, OSCA "Other": Reverend Kihe Blackeagle PULC (the DreamSinger Bard) alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com Buy my writings!: http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen http://www.livejournal.com/users/kihebard/ > Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 22:19:49 -0800> From: lcm at jeffnet.org> To: sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] OOP ethnic silly question...and holiday greetings!> > ranvaig at columbus.rr.com wrote:> >> Or does COLD just mean you have to stop wearing shorts? :-)> >>> >> > > Its 1° F here tonight, and dropping, weatherbug says up to -20° F windchill. Normally I work from home, and of course tomorrow is my one day a month to go in. I'm gonna whimp out and try to get out of it if I can. Hope everyone is warm and safe.> >> > Ranvaig> > > Well, it is 20F here at the house, we have about 6" of snow on the > ground, 1/2" of solid ice over that, and another 3-4" of snow on top of > that. We tried to dig out Zippy the Wonder Volvo earlier today- no dice. > We're supposed to get more snow overnight, and then again tomorrow. > Maybe beginning to thaw on Weds. ME NOT HAPPY! I was planning to drive > to Ashland Tues, but if I can't get out of my parking spot... what's > worse, last weekend I slipped on the ice and hurt myself, and I thought > it was just a sprain. Well, I think as soon as I can get Zippy out I'm > going to head to the doctor- leg still hurts after a week and I have > baaad thoughts about it.> > Is it bad of me to want a traditional Christmas in Oregon of 55F and > raining?> > 'Lainie> > -- > "It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." -Albus Dumbledore> > ~~~Follow my Queenly perambulations at: http://slugcrossings.blogspot.com/> > _______________________________________________> Sca-cooks mailing list> Sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org> http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/sca-cooks-ansteorra.org