[Sca-cooks] New Year's Eve/Day repast

Kathleen A Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Tue Dec 30 15:31:37 PST 2008

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 14:08:37 -0700
  Georgia Foster <jo_foster81 at hotmail.com> wrote

> But I found myself wondering .... What is everyone else
>doing for New Years Eve/Day?

i remember as a kid going to aunties' house for dinner.
 unfortunately, my relatives being less than adventurous
cooks, nothing comes to mind except the relish tray with
olives and pickles and pickled cocktail onions.  might
have been a leg of lamb or pork roast.  oh, and a highball
made of ginger ale, a spoon of honey, the word 'rye'
whispered over the glass and a metric buttload of
maraschino cherries.

new year's eve was sliced ham and 'fixings'.  ubiquitous
relish tray of assorted pickles and things, and the kid's
getting a cheese spread glass of incredibly watered down
mogen david grape wine before being toddled off to bed.
 hopefully, the last of the fruitcake was consumed that
night.  and the pickled herring for luck, of course.

i guess we kids learned to drink with the grownups, so
when we hit 18, there was no mystery to alcohol.  this is
a good thing.

i do remember the new year's day breakfast of pickled pigs
feet (with chunks of pork for the less hardy of us).  lots
of catsup and horseradish with the souse, please.  rye
bread and butter.  yum!  just can't convince the husband
that that one is good.   won't touch head cheese or brawn
either.

of course, since dear heart and i spent the last week of
eating whatever we wanted (while not splurging too much)
 i believe we will sleep in late after the party we are
attending, make some bacon and eggs and taters, and then
for dinner, make some pizza-dillas (pizza fixings on
tortillas).

after that, back to the low-ish carb menus again.   little
did i know growing up that white potatoes could be a
treat!

happy new year everyone!

cailte
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
Coordinator of Freshman Admissions
University of New Mexico