[Sca-cooks] OOP ethnic silly question...and holiday greetings!

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 08:10:17 PST 2008

Actually, I think that was me.  Selene did share her spice cake recipe...so
here 'tis...

Applesauce Cake

2 cups sugar
2 cups pecans, chopped
2 cups applesauce
3 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup butter
4 each eggs
4 cups raisins
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cloves

1.    Mix raisins and flour and set aside.

2.    Mix baking soda and applesauce and set aside.

3.    Mix rest of ingredients and add to flour mixture.  Add applesauce
mixture last.

4.    Bake at 325 or 350 for 1 hour 15 minutes.

Notes: I bake these Thanksgiving weekend.  I soak them in Takara Plum Wine,
wrapped in a dishtowel and stored in an airtight container.  About once a
week, open and resoak if needed.  Ready at Christmas.

I add other preserved fruits...reconstituted figs, candied cherries and
citron.  Black walnuts work well instead of pecans, if you wish.

This cake is a fond memory of my childhood.  My mother used to make this
instead of fruitcake...

Kiri