[Sca-cooks] A Knife Problem

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 28 00:56:11 PST 2008

Daniel explained:
  <<< She was trying to pry apart slices of frozen ham apparently
with the tip of
the blade.  >>>

Okay. I can see myself using a knife for this, although I'd probably
use the blade more horizontally and closer to the thicker portion
nearer the handle. So *what* is the proper tool or method for this?
Especially when you are running behind on getting your meal prepared?
If I didn't rush into it, I guess I would try defrosting the sliced
ham under running water or in the microwave.

<<< It broke as a single trianglar piece.  Odd thing about the
blade, an 8 inch Henckel.  I bought it for two bucks in a little
resale shop
jn Lake Park Florida about 15 years ago along with a second Henckel,
one of
thier boning knives.   Both were in perfect shape. >>>

 From your later message and Kiri's comments it sounds like Henckel
stands behind their knives beyond what I might expect. That's good to
know.  I guess if I ever get in the habit of checking out the thrift
shops I'll have to keep my eyes open for some Henckels.  Most of our
Armatel pewter feastgear set, 6-8 place settings, came from thrift
store shopping. I'm not one to pay $22 for a new plate.

In another message Johnnae commented:
<<< And once used, the knives when the projects are done
invariably end up in the sink too which is another no-no for good
knives. >>>

Argh. Yes. I just can't get it through to my wife not to put my
wooden handled knives in the sink or dishwasher, although the latter
is happening less often.  The set of better knives I bought from
recommendations on this list earlier this year are still in their box
on the counter. I may just have to put them away less accessibly and
leave the 'sacrificial' Maxum blades in the knife block.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com