[Sca-cooks] [!! SPAM] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 32, Issue 11

Susanne Mayer susanne.mayer5 at chello.at
Mon Dec 8 22:59:47 PST 2008

Yes, there are no substitue for cranberries or lingonberries (not identical
botanicaly seen, but still from the same family) and allthough blueberries
are from the same family you would need a jam with only very little sugar to
get the tartness of the blueberry (even here the big almost thumbnail sized
garden variety ist almsot tasteless, just sweet and NOT what you want,  the
ones growing wild here in europ are tart and a little bitter but not as much
as  lingonberries.
  blueberry [Vaccinium myrtillus]
  bot. Blaubeere {f}
  bot. Heidelbeere {f}
  cranberry [Vaccinium macrocarpon]
  bot. Cranberry {f}
  cowberry [Vaccinium vitis-idaea]
  bot. Preiselbeere {f}
  lingonberry [Vaccinium vitis-idaea]
  bot. Preiselbeere {f}
  bot. Kränbeere {f} [landsch., veraltet]
  American cranberry [Vaccinium macrocarpon]
  bot. Großfrüchtige Moosbeere {f}
  mountain cranberry [Vaccinium vitis-idaea]
  bot. Preiselbeere {f}
http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/%5BVaccinium%5D.html

so no substiutes but alternatives:

take one of your excellent red chilean wines, rosemary, and jam jelling
help, which is pure pektin, if you can get it, for one part sugar and 3
parts fruit.

pommegranate sauce (there is a thread in the florilegium about pommefranate
chicken) will also work.

Tart apple jelly with junks and mintleaves is also a good acompaniment to
folw.

black or red currant jelly with orange peel in thin strips and a bit of the
juice

I do remember a discussion in this list (years back)  about sauce carmeline,
which is blueberry based as far as I can remember.

Regards

Katharina
Drachenwald
Ad Flumen Caerulum