[Sca-cooks] Day one of Christmas Cooking Done!!!!!!

rattkitten rattkitten at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 22 18:36:26 PST 2008

Whew...
Happy to report that Christmas came early this year as Anastasia and I
got a brand spanking new Cuisinart Stand Mixer for ourselves for
Christmas.  (Linens and Things going out of Business sale $204.00)  Yeah
I know it isn't a Kitchenaid but I still like it and it has the ability
to add gadgets as well....

So this week I am using my time off to bake stuff....

Today I made Sugar Cookies (From a bag that Anastasia got as a
present...), Mint Chocolate Brownies (Dunkan Hines box that I had one
bag left and a bunch of mint candy that I have gotten over the past
year.)  ((BTW I officially hate mint candy now...))  (((Not really but I
am telling everyone that so people STOP giving me the stuff.....lol)))

What else...

Chocolate Mint Cupcake Thingies... (Had some devils food cake mix and
more mint candies....), gingerbread men (ok snow men) ((didn't have a
"Man" cutter...)) this cookie was actually from scratch... (see I can
cook without a mix....lol) Baklava also from scratch duh...
After that I still had time and energy so I made Candied Pecans and
Almonds... this was a new experience for me as I had never tried to do
these.... They came out great!!!

Things I learned....
Using a mortar and pestle is not as easy as it sounds at least for
cloves... (Didn't have any crushed cloves only whole...)
Sorghum is NOT molasses... lol.  Close but not quite there.
A Rolling pin will crush mint candy better than the mini food processor,
and mint candy if it gets caught in said mini processor will lock up the
blades.
Candy canes crush better and quicker than year old "soft" mints.
And finally after 3 years of searching I have decided that no one makes
the Mint Puff Balls that melt in your mouth anymore.... They look like
balls....and I haven't had one since about 1982 or so....  Mom used to
get them in tins.... and they are not cut like the present day "balls"
that we have.... I am not sure how they were made but I plan on learning
how to make mints just so I can have these damn things again...  BUT
please don't buy me any; since every person that has, has bought the
modern ones.... including Mom.... lol.  and those things are basically
peppermint sticks that are snipped while they are hot.  The ones I want
are puffed with air.

Anyways... sorry for rambling there....

Tomorrow I'll be doing savory dishes... (Anastasia needed the cookies by
Tuesday Morning basically...)
I'll be making about 3 different meat pasties, (I have some filo left so
will use some of that for one of them...) ((and am going to try and make
puff pastry for the other))
Chicken Pasties
Spanakopita (the other pack of filo), sausage balls with olives,
Stuffed Grape Leaves
And maybe some Wonton type dumpling things... (cause I have the wrappers..)

Allright gotta go....

Nichola