[Sca-cooks] Asian sources?

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 09:32:21 PST 2008

Chinese/Mongol:

Chang, K. C., ed.   *Food in Chinese Culture.*  New Haven:  Yale University
Press, 1977.

Buell, Paul D. and Eugene N. Anderson.  *A Soup for the Qan.*  London:  Kegan
Paul International,  2000.

Buell, Paul D.  "The Mongol Empire and its Legacy".  Ed. Reuven
Amitai-Preiss and
David O. Morgan.  Monograph from *Islamic History and Civilization*, Vol 2
Ed. Ulrich Haarmann and Wadad Kadi.  Leiden:  Brill, 1999.
Japanese:
Ishige Naomichi. The History and Culture of Japanese Food. New York: Kegan
Paul,
2001.

Lu Yü. The Classic of Tea. Francis Ross Carpenter, trans. Hopewell, NJ: The
Ecco
Press, 1974.

Bushu Sayama. Ryori Monogotari. Originally published 1643. Joshua Badgeley
trans.,
Ellen Badgeley, ed. Currently unpublished.

Okakura Kakuzo. The Book of Tea. Everett F. Bleiler, ed. New York: Dover
Publications, Inc., 1964.

Rodriguez, Joao. This Island of Japon. Michael Cooper, S. J., trans. Tokyo:
Kodansha
International, 1973.

Indian:

""A Dinner from Moghul India"--Madrone Culinary Guild--taken from similar
examples in Ain-I-Akbari by Abu al-Fazl ibn Mubarak.  A 16th c. Mughal
cookbook"

*The *Ni'matnāma *Manuscript of the Sultans of Mandu ("The Sultan's Book of
Delights)*
trans. Norah M. Titley.  Oxon, CA:  RoutledgeCurzon, 2005.
Husain, Salma, trans.  "Nushka-e-Shahjahani:  Pulaos from the Royal Kitchen
of Shah Jahan".  New Delhi:  Rupa & Co., 2004.

Hope this helps.  Some of these books have recipes, some contain mostly
descriptions of food, food service, etc.  The "Ryori Monogotari" has not yet
been published.  Dame Hauviette d'Anjou, Ii Saboru Katsumori, Abe no
Akirakeiko and I are working on publishing Ii-dono's translation.  At this
point, I can't really share recipes beyond what I handed out at the
Midrealm's Cooks' Symposium last fall.  If you want those, let me know and
I'll send you a copy of my class.

Kiri

On Feb 1, 2008 11:51 AM, Kathleen A Roberts <karobert at unm.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 08:46:09 -0800
>  Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > Also, don't underestimate the value of literary sources.
> > I have a vague
> > memory that the tale of the 47 Ronin began with the
> >masterless men
> > meeting secretly in a soba shop.  [Okay, that's circa
> >1700 but it
> > illustrated my point.]
>
> i agree wholeheartly!  many of my early period ideas (and
> those of other EP foodies) come from reading irish myth
> and viking sagas.  and you get to (re)read cool stories.
>
> cailte
> "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
> sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
> W. B. Yeats
> Kathleen Roberts
> Coordinator of Freshman Admissions
> University of New Mexico
> Albuquerque, NM
> 505-277-2447
> FASTINFOrmation at your fingertips -
> http://fastinfo.unm.edu/

Learning is a lifetime journey…growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
                   -- C.E. Lawrence