[Sca-cooks] A question of service

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Feb 1 19:42:37 PST 2008

Communal or common service, based on the methods of the Roman Era Christian
communes, although I doubt it was called that in the Middle Ages or the
Renaissance.  In practice, it probably would have been limited to religious
communities such as monestaries and abbeys where all were equal before God
(just some more equal than others).

The flunkies or lackies are generally referred to as waiters.  Waiters
usually fall into two classes, gentle waiters (pages. squires, the lord of
the manor attending the king) and yeoman waiters.  Waiters serve the tables
under the direction of the steward of the hall (often a knight, who acts as
the host of the manor on behalf of the lord) and the senior waiters and
clear the tables under the direction of the almoner.

Your serving hatch is "the bar."  The bar marks the division between the
cook's domain and the domain of the steward (or possibly butler or pantler).
Meals and portions that are sent across the bar are accounted for and
compared to the menus from and quantities requisitioned by the cook from the
clerk or the wardrobe (treasurer, exchequer, privy purse, etc., etc., etc.).

Bear