[Sca-cooks] List Statistics for Jan 1, 2008 - Jan 31, 2008

Daniel Myers edoard at medievalcookery.com
Sun Feb 3 08:59:56 PST 2008

--

I'd been asked about the source cookbook count.  This part of the
statistics is rather brittle - spelling variations, typos, and the
multitude of ways to reference a book or manuscript can cause the
script to miss a reference.  Further, it was simply counting the
occurrences of a bit of text, which means a source would have been
over-counted if a single post mentioned the text multiple times.

I've fiddled with the script to make the count a bit more accurate
(extended the pattern matching, made it so multiple references in a
single email count only once), and this is what it now comes up with
for last month.

-=-=-=- cookbooks most often referred to -=-=-=-

1. The English Housewife [England, 1615] (9)
2. Ein New Kochbuch [Germany, 1581] (7)
3. Das Kuchbuch der Sabina Welserin [Germany, 1553] (6)
4. Le Menagier de Paris [France, ca. 1393] (5)
5. Ouverture de Cuisine [France, 1604] (4)
6. An Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook [Andalusia, 13th c.] (2)
7. Forme of Cury [England, 1390] (2)
8. Vivendier [France, ca. 1450] (1)
9. Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books [England, 1450] (1)
10. The good Huswifes Handmaide for the Kitchin [England, 1594] (1)

... which is a bit different from what had been given.

On Feb 2, 2008, at 8:57 PM, Daniel Myers wrote:
> --
> List Statistics for Jan 1, 2008 - Jan 31, 2008
[...]
> -=-=-=- cookbooks most often referred to -=-=-=-
>
> 1. Welserin (16)
> 2. Ouverture (13)
> 3. Rumpolt (11)
> 4. Menagier (6)
> 5. Eberhard (5)
> 6. Forme of Cury (5)
> 7. Viandier (3)
> 8. Vivendier (3)
> 9. Libre del Coch (3)
> 10. Anonymous Andalusian (3)

We now return to our regular program of dance music.