[Sca-cooks] Dates

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Fri Feb 8 13:49:20 PST 2008

Barbara Dodge wrote:
>I was the happy recipient of a box of dates brought back from Dubai
>by a co-worker.  (It WAS a 2 pound box.    I now have about a pound
>and a half left.) They are huge, moist and delicious.  Not at all
>like the stale dried up things you get in boxes in the local
>supermarket.  I would like to make something with them this weekend
>to bring into the office Monday to share the bounty.  I've looked at
>recipes for standard date nut breads and variations on the theme,
>but I am searching for something slightly outside the norm.  Do any
>of you have a recipe that the modern masses might enjoy, but is not
>the same old same old?

I make a date and nut salad. It's quite delicious.

I don't really have measurements for this, I just wing it.

In a large bowl, add approximately equal amounts by volume of the
pitted dates cut in halves (or quarters if they are large), red or
black seedless grapes, also cut in half, and walnut or pecan pieces.
I guess about a pound each of grapes and dates is about right. The
nuts are maybe about 10-12 ounces.

Make a dressing from grated fresh ginger, orange juice (blood oranges
preferably), grated orange and/or lemon zest, a little lemon juice,
fresh ground black pepper, a pinch of salt and walnut oil. Toss with
the fruit and nuts and chill a couple of hours before serving.
Proportions are roughly 3 parts orange juice to 1 part oil with the
other stuff being enough to flavor it all well. I usually use two
oranges for this, maybe three if they are smaller ones.

Dragon