[Sca-cooks] Dates

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Feb 8 14:03:26 PST 2008

>I was the happy recipient of a box of dates brought back from Dubai
>by a co-worker.  (It WAS a 2 pound box.    I now have about a pound
>and a half left.) They are huge, moist and delicious.  Not at all
>like the stale dried up things you get in boxes in the local
>supermarket.  I would like to make something with them this weekend
>to bring into the office Monday to share the bounty.  I've looked at
>recipes for standard date nut breads and variations on the theme,
>but I am searching for something slightly outside the norm.  Do any
>of you have a recipe that the modern masses might enjoy, but is not
>the same old same old?
>
>Thanks,
>Felicia

Hais
al-Baghdadi p. 214/14 (GOOD)

Take fine dry bread, or biscuit, and grind up well. Take a ratl of
this, and three quarters of a ratl of fresh or preserved dates with
the stones removed, together with three uqiya of ground almonds and
pistachios. Knead all together very well with the hands. Refine two
uqiya of sesame-oil, and pour over, working with the hand until it is
mixed in. Make into cabobs, and dust with fine-ground sugar. If
desired, instead of sesame-oil use butter. This is excellent for
travellers.

2 2/3 c bread crumbs	1/3 c ground pistachios
2 c (about one lb) pitted dates	7 T melted butter or sesame oil
1/3 c ground almonds	enough sugar

We usually grind the nuts separately in a food processor, then mix
dates, bread crumbs, and nuts in the food processor, then stir in
melted butter or oil. Dates vary in hardness; if it does not hold
together, add a few tablespoons of water, one at a time. For
"cabobs," roll into one inch balls. Good as caravan food (or for
taking to wars). They last forever if you do not eat them, but you do
so they don't.

--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com