[Sca-cooks] Bread Books

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Feb 15 18:45:20 PST 2008

I own it and like it because it has formulas and instructions in it
for those decorative and display items that might be used as subtleties.
Bread plaques, baskets, platters, boxes all made of bread.
Stuff that you don't find in other books. It did win a Julia Child/IACP
prize in 2005.
Is it a baking book for the general home baker? Probably not.
I think in places it's probably overly complicated for a novice baker.
I mean the recipes all start out with professional large quantities
being called for.
17 pounds or 8.5 kilos of bread flour for instance. Then in the last
column come
measurements for home bakers like11.2 ounces of flour.
There are some reviews here:
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/bookreviews/hamelmanbread

You might enjoy books by Beth Hensperger more. Or maybe even go browse
the shelves
at your local public library. Bread books are a staple of the culinary
collection.

Johnnae