[Sca-cooks] Cooking and Serving Equipment, was Late Italian feast

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 20 16:03:00 PST 2008

Dragon wrote:
>Lilinah wrote:
>  >I know i have to supply all cookware, serving dishes, and utensils
>  >when i cook a feast - yeah, i don't own everything, and i can
>  >sometimes borrow from other cooks, but i can't count on it.
>
>Why should you buy it?
>
>Our barony owns feast gear that they loan out to whoever needs it. I
>can't imagine having to do a feast with just my own gear or that
>loaned from fellow cooks.

Well, our Principality doesn't own a darn thing food related.

And the West cooks guild doesn't own anything, either, although it
finally got a web site a year or so ago...

We cooks are on our own. Sometimes a site has some stuff, but we
can't rely on that. One time i helped at a feast and the site had
great pots and other equipment. The next year i was head cooking a
feast at the same site and there was NOTHING - they'd locked it all
away somewhere months before. Since we used the site annually, there
was no need to visit it prior to the feast. Good thing i'd bought a
few big pots and brought most of my kitchen with me...

So we cooks must be self-reliant and we often loan stuff to each
other, but sometimes there just isn't enough. For my most recent
feast i bought a lot more serving dishes - especially bowls with a
flange-lip for servers to grip for serving soup. I still need more of
them... To augment what i could afford, I had to borrow some very
Victorian-looking tureens from another cook.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

My LibraryThing