[Sca-cooks] Current farm prices and affects on feast budgeting

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed Feb 20 20:45:36 PST 2008

At 08:21 PM 2/20/2008, you wrote:
> > *giggle* I'm in the PA/NJ area. It's easier to sell period food to the
> > blue-collar folk here than to the bourgeois: our yuppies are more likely
> > to object to what they can't get at Appleby's or Friday's, while the more
> > working class/ethnic people will try glop and comfort food.
> >
> > --
> > -- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
>
>Acceptance of period food isn't a class issue here, as the adventurous and
>un-adventurous eaters and the degrees between are fairly even spread through
>the populace.  The problem is one of income, which was Duke Inman's point
>when he went to beat on the BOD.  Many of our SCAdians don't have a lot of
>discretionary income.  I can sell a feast for $7 a head, but $10 or higher
>is pushing the envelope.
>
>Bear

Varies a lot from place to place, too. $10 for feast with $5-7 for
site fee is fairly common here (Portland metro). Add another $3 and
people start to drop off. But if you get down past Eugene or so and
into Southern Oregon, the prices drop by about $5. Former timber
country, and the economy down there never recovered.

'Lainie
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than
our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore