[Sca-cooks] Four 10th century bread recipes from al-Warraq (including samidh flour)

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 23 08:35:03 PST 2008

Gianotta wrote:
<< Still looking for some recipes, and I realized that I've seen several
references to samid (semolina) bread, but no recipes for the bread itself. >>

Emilio wrote: There are four such recipes in the tenth century cookbook of Ibn Sayyar al-Warraq.
I quote two of them for your convenience: (snip)

Thanks, Emilio! If one of the other two recipes you have quoted are for a leavened bread, I think I'll be in business. But still, finding out about another cookbook to learn from isn't a bad thing, and I might find more dishes with parallels to existing Sicilian ones.

Gianotta