[Sca-cooks] kingdom fundraising

aldyth at aol.com aldyth at aol.com
Sun Feb 24 13:19:39 PST 2008

Fundraising by padding event budgets is one of my hot button areas.? When I was Kingdom Exchequer I was astounded to see that the groups in my kingdom (Outlands) customarily made their money via events instead of specific fundraisers.? When I asked why, almost to a person the answer was that since we were a non profit corporation we were unable to make a profit.? The only way they could see to fund their activities was to inflate the feast ticket cost.? I didn't say it made any sense at all.? I had a very difficult time making the right turn of not able to make a profit and then making one on the event.

I would offer up that the manipulating of event budgets to cover operating costs of the group/kingdom is the largest reason why financial committees now must approve every nook and cranny of financial obligations.?

It doesn't mean we have to like it as cooks who are trying to provide a "period" meal experience on a limited budget.? It does mean we have to get better at the administration and budgeting of the food.?

Never mind the idea of putting bread and butter and soups and stews first to fill up the populace so you can make less of the more expensive dishes.

Aldyth