[Sca-cooks] kingdom fundraising

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Sun Feb 24 13:42:59 PST 2008

aldyth at aol.com wrote:

>Fundraising by padding event budgets is one of my hot button areas.? When I was Kingdom Exchequer I was astounded to see that the groups in my kingdom (Outlands) customarily made their money via events instead of specific fundraisers.? When I asked why, almost to a person the answer was that since we were a non profit corporation we were unable to make a profit.? The only way they could see to fund their activities was to inflate the feast ticket cost.? I didn't say it made any sense at all.? I had a very difficult time making the right turn of not able to make a profit and then making one on the event.

Well, for one thing "not-for-profit" has nothing to do with making
money.  It has to do with restrictions on how you distribute it.  But I
don't see anything wrong with making money on events, within reason. Our
biggest chunk of income comes from profit made on Canterbury Faire.
Personally, I'd rather have events budgeted/priced to make a modest
profit and keep the group going than constant fundraising. We do do some
fundraising, but mostly for specific projects rather than general
operating expenses.

--
Antonia Calvo
(formerly known as Adele de Maisieres)