[Sca-cooks] "blue" blackberry sauce?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Feb 25 05:43:08 PST 2008

This may well vary according to the type of berry chosen and that might
account for the color.

The new translation of this Martino recipe by Jeremy Parzen (The Art of
Cooking)
calls for "Take some wild mulberries that grow in thickets..."

Gillian Riley in the new Octavo CD-ROM version titled Maestro Martino
Libro de Arte Coquinaria translates the recipe as:

A sky blue relish for summer*
Take the wild berries that grow on brambles and
mix them with some pounded blanched almonds
and a little ginger. Thin with verjuice and pass
through a sieve.

The note for the recipe reads:
*Platina’s recipe has been translated as “A Heavenly relish in Summer”;
caelestinum can mislead, for although this relish might well be heavenly,
it is azure or sky blue.

Millham in her Platina translation calls for "mix pounded
blackberries..." or "Moro ex rubo
tunsa tritis amygdalis admiscebis."

So as the recipe was recopied and published and moved into Northern
Europe in other cookery
books in the 16th century, the question arises as those "wild berries
that grow on brambles" might have been.

Johnnae